The Sequential Artists Workshop/

Comix “remakes” – Maggie Siegel-Berele on Wendy Pini

Tags: , ,

elfQuest-Bereleelfquest-OriginalWendy and Richard Pini’s Elfquest is my ultimate fantasy escape, reading it scratches an itch. Elfquest  is everything I want in a story, and I chose one of my favorite pages determined to do it justice. It seems profound, attempting to reinvent something that doesn’t need it: redoing your hero’s work is terrifying and exhilarating.   I went into this project hoping to continue the Pini’s story, without disrupting it’s moment.

For this project I ended up perusing my fascination with ‘backwards s’ layouts. I try to lead the readers eye against the typical left to right pattern every few projects:   my motive for the ‘backwards s’ layout, in this case, was to force myself to take on a completely different approach than the original page.  I discovered that this specific page is the way it is for a reason and the more I studied it I worried that the cover would end up mimicking Wendy’s page too closely.

I unfortunately became too wrapped up in enforcing the ‘backwards s’ that I let the word balloons wander, which undid the master layout I almost pulled off. I have a newfound respect for Wendy and her skill at fitting the amount of dialogue she does on a page, while making it look effortless.  It was crushing to learn where I’d gone wrong, too late to save the page I had thoroughly enjoyed working on.  I don’t have the heart to redo the same page for a fourth time; even though the page doesn’t read right, it’s not a complete failure, it’s a living lesson.

Maggie Siegel-Berele

12 Responses to “Comix “remakes” – Maggie Siegel-Berele on Wendy Pini”

1. kominek says:

There’s noticeably a bundle to learn about this. I assume you made sure nice points in options also.

2. check it out says:

Can I merely say what a aid to search out somebody who really is aware of what theyre talking about on the internet. You positively know tips on how to carry an problem to light and make it essential. Extra individuals need to have to read this and perceive this aspect with the story. I cant consider youre no far more popular since you undoubtedly have the gift.

3. There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I suppose you’ve got created specific nice points in functions also.

4. actually, it is not a good idea to buy refurbished computers coz the price of brand new computers is so low”

5. That is a beneficial viewpoint, however isn’t make every sence whatsoever dealing with which mather. Any method thanks in addition to i had make an effort to share your current post straight into delicius but it surely is apparently an issue making use of your websites is it possible to you need to recheck this. a lot of thanks again.

6. Lovely lady says:

Making a girl feel just like you had intercourse together with her without pressing.

7. Pull Up Bars says:

You might have a really nice layout for your blog. i want it to work with on my website as well ,

8. baju muslim says:

It is actually a nice and useful piece of info. I’m glad which you just shared this beneficial information with us. Please maintain us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

9. If you ask me, in excess of a couple working together to empty desired goals, often have unlimited electric power.

10. Signup Now says:

You’ve got brought up a extremely great details , regards for the post.

11. I believe this web site has very superb composed topic material articles .